All through March, bring new or gently used children’s books to any of our three locations. Books will be picked up by United Way and distributed to non-profits serving low income families in our community.
Did you know:
- Reading with and to young children is the greatest gift you can give them.
- Reading to a child increases their vocabulary significantly by the time they reach school age.
- The income level of a family often impacts the number of books in a home. On average, higher income homes have 199 books, middle income families have 54 books, and very low income families have no books.
What the United Way of Marathon County is doing about it:
- United Way’s Ready to Read program distributes 10,000 books annually to low income families.
- Our RSVP program is recruiting mentors and tutors to work in local schools to help kids struggling with reading.
- United Way funds programs that help prepare kids for school—quality child care and parenting classes, for example.